The Path of Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Path of Light

The Path of Light Theosophy of the Masters.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Celibacy and Theosophy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Emma
Admin
Admin
Emma

Celibacy and Theosophy Empty
PostSubject: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 2:57 am

I have heard one must stay celibate if they wish to ascend, still others say it is not necessary. i don't think you need to as enlightenment will come when it is time. here is what Blavaysky said in the key to theosophy on the subject. i see her point on one way if the partner is not simpatico with the other's beliefs, but i see no reason to not marry if one is marrying another theosophist or another occultist who understands the dedication.

ENQUIRER. Now to another question; must a man marry or remain a celibate?

THEOSOPHIST. It depends on the kind of man you mean. If you refer to one who intends to live in the world, one who, even though a good, earnest Theosophist, and an ardent worker for our cause, still has ties and wishes which bind him to the world, who, in short, does not feel that he has done for ever with what men call life, and that he desires one thing and one thing only -- to know the truth, and to be able to help others -- then for such a one I say there is no reason why he should not marry, if he likes to take the risks of that lottery where there are so many more blanks than prizes. Surely you cannot believe us so absurd and fanatical as to preach against marriage altogether? On the contrary, save in a few exceptional cases of practical Occultism, marriage is the only remedy against immorality.

ENQUIRER. But why cannot one acquire this knowledge and power when living a married life?

THEOSOPHIST. My dear sir, I cannot go into physiological questions with you; but I can give you an obvious and, I think, a sufficient answer, which will explain to you the moral reasons we give for it. Can a man serve two masters? No! Then it is equally impossible for him to divide his attention between the pursuit of Occultism and a wife. If he tries to, he will assuredly fail in doing either properly; and, let me remind you, practical Occultism is far too serious and dangerous a study for a man to take up, unless he is in the most deadly earnest, and ready to sacrifice all, himself first of all, to gain his end. But this does not apply to the members of our Inner Section. I am only referring to those who are determined to tread that path of discipleship which leads to the highest goal. Most, if not all of those who join our Inner Section, are only beginners, preparing themselves in this life to enter in reality upon that path in lives to come.
Back to top Go down
maydaygeek

PostSubject: Re: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 3:06 am

Another great piece of information, Emma. What a complicated issue if a person doesn't have those around him, who'd be sympathetic to their choices and beliefs.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin
Emma

PostSubject: Re: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 6:09 am

Man is both complex tolerant and intolerant. Quite a tough road we have to travel at times.
Back to top Go down
maydaygeek

PostSubject: Re: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 7:44 am

Emma wrote:
Man is both complex tolerant and intolerant. Quite a tough road we have to travel at times.

We do indeed, Emma. I think the challenges we encounter and how we deal with them is what makes us better and stronger in the end.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin
Emma

PostSubject: Re: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 am

Quite right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celibacy and Theosophy   Celibacy and Theosophy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Celibacy and Theosophy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Path of Light  :: Topics in Theosophy :: Issues in Theosophy-
Jump to: